Friday, September 9, 2011

Who'd Thought?

You hear from parents all the time about how much they love their kids... a whole different kind of love than spousal love.  It's an organic love-- definitely hard to explain but so simple in theory.  I love my kids like that.  I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is very little in life they could truly do wrong to make me un-love them.  I used to be so quick to criticize parents when they were suckered into stuff by there kids, but now I see how easy it is to be suckered, or should I say "blindly led".  I find myself laughing at my son when he is so CLEARLY manipulating me and I am so falling for it!

But, that kind of love is not what this post is about.  I became fascinated today by something indirectly related to that love.

I found myself amazed that I love my son sooo much and am so grateful to have been chosen by God to create such an amazing person.  Yet, somehow, I was tempted to leave him on the side of the road because he had pushed me too far!  Of course, I would never have done that, BUT I DID ENTERTAIN THAT THOUGHT FOR A SPLIT SECOND, LET ME TELL YA!

What pushed me to that edge, you ask?  Well, as he was eating snack in the car, he told me he was finished and held out the bag.  I reached back to take it from him in the same way we always do.  He looked at me in the rear view mirror and dumped that bag ON TO THE FLOOR!  What!?  Are you kidding me?!  Then, I said he should never do that again.  Then, he looked at me square in the eye and threw his cup on the floor!  WHOA COWBOY!  I was so angry!  I began looking for pull-off to have that all-important stern talking-to! Uh!

You know, I am aware we were up against naptime and lunch and all that all-important stuff.  And I'm aware I should have planned my day differently.  And, yes, I can admit that if I had been truly conscious of all this and gone earlier, I could have been spared this toddler behavior, BUT STILL!

Now, once we got home, he went potty... normal, right?  Yes, until he walked out of the bathroom with a match-box car in his hand.  He said, "Mommy, I got pee on my car."  SERIOUSLY!?

With that comment, it became very, very clear.  All these behaviors had one common denomenator.  He's his father's child.  :)

(Love you, honey!)

No comments:

Post a Comment